Thursday, January 10, 2013

Beasts & Burdens Press

Wendy Xu has two lovely poems up at Banango Street, along with translations by Zach Schomburg: http://banangostreet.com/issue3/

Come and get it while it's hot, right? Right, guys?

**

I'm incredibly happy to say that my bff Benh Zeitlin received 3 Oscar nominations for his film, Beasts of the Southern Wild. I've known this movie was going to be amazing for years, but it's a relief to see larger money-oriented industries actually support a low budget movie that takes risks with the imagination. I hope more movies like his will receive this kind of attention in the future-- it would be a welcome shift in the public's attention. Maybe what I admire most is that Benh has never been distracted--by money, scripts written by other people, etc-- his vision has always been clear and he's pursued it with avid dedication and joy. There is a scrappy joy to his work that buoys me.

No comments: