Wednesday, August 29, 2012

In Water Press



One of the last few days to buy my book, Triggermoon Triggermoon, on SALE price (10 bucks instead of 14):
http://blacklawrence.homestead.com/juliacohen.html

Thanks for allowing this shameless self-promotion.

**

I'd just like to point out that WELL BEFORE James Wright's famous line, "I have wasted my life" (published 1963), we have Lorine Niedecker's line from the perspective of her mother, "I have wasted my whole life in water" (published 1946). You can compare:

Niedecker:

....Good-bye to lilacs by the door
and all I planted by the eye.
If I could hear-- too much talk in the world,
too much wind washing, washing
good black dirt away.

Her hair is high.
Big blind ears.

I've wasted my whole life in water.
My man's got nothing but leaky boats.
My daughter, writer, sits and floats.

**

THEN we have Wright's:

Lying in a Hammock at William Duffy’s Farm in Pine Island, Minnesota

Over my head, I see the bronze butterfly,
Asleep on the black trunk,
Blowing like a leaf in green shadow.
Down the ravine behind the empty house,
The cowbells follow one another
Into the distances of the afternoon.
To my right,
In a field of sunlight between two pines,
The droppings of last year’s horses
Blaze up into golden stones.
I lean back, as the evening darkens and comes on.
A chicken hawk floats over, looking for home.
I have wasted my life.

No comments: