Friday, May 18, 2012

Right Leg Press

I'm going to tell you about today. Because it's happening right now. And then I'm going to tell you why I'm looking forward to August.


Today: morning oatmeal, eggs, last episode of season 4 of 30 Rock. Now I'm in the Denver Quarterly office scanning the cover of the spring issue to get the website up to date. Whoops, belatedly. I already went to the post office to return a dress & buy stamps. The dress was for my cousin's wedding in Sept, but it was too big. Most of my dresses are too big right now so I need to acquire new summer dresses. 3 postcards already in the mail as of 9:30am this morning. Had a phone call with Arda Collins, one of my favorite people in the world. If you haven't already, you should probably buy her book It Is Daylight. This afternoon I have my dissertation prospectus meeting. If approved, well, then all I have to do is finish writing it! Okay, this is getting boring, sorry.

August: Fly to Italy August 3rd, stay at a villa with high school friends. WTF? This trip was an amazing gift from a generous friend who takes pity on Phd students. Then visit my grandma in RI, where we will drink scotch together & watch nature documentaries. Then house/dog siting in NY for 10 days...then head to Philly to visit friends, then down to DC for my cousin's wedding. Which is also my birthday weekend. It's been years since I've been with my family on my birthday so I'm excited. Basically, in the last 2 days my August went from maybe going to NY to traveling all over, which I love to do.

What else?

There was a brief moment a few years ago in which I had the first 4 of Spicer's "15 False Propositions" memorized. But now I only remember one of them. I'm going to print them all out, laminate them, maybe, and put them in my shower so that I can memorize them when I shower. This is also when I water my basil, oregano, dill, and mint.


This is my favorite one:

2.
Look I am King Of The Forest
Says The King Of The Forest
As he growls magnificently
Look, I am in pain. My right leg
Does not fit my left leg.
I am King Of The Forest
Says The King Of The Forest.
And other beasts hear him and would rather
They were King Of The Forest
But that their right leg
would fit their left leg.
“Beauty is so rare a thing,” Pound sang.
“So few drink at my fountain.”

**

You can't have it all, King of The Forest. Deal with it. Or, as my more thoughtful friend said, "I just want you to drink from my fountain, you rare thing."


No comments: