Thursday, February 11, 2010

Let's Get Together & Impale Each Other! Press

Sunday is Valentine's Day.

I think because 1) I grew up in a family of atheists and there weren't any holidays that were more significant than people exchanging presents and saying "I love you" and "thank you" and "I love you," (okay, it is significant, but not in a religious way, or a way that extends outside of the immediate family hanging out) 2) when I was younger I loved the color pink, like in a hardcore way, and 3) because my parents were doting and let Valentines day get out of control because of my love for pink: Even though I know it's a fake greeting card holiday (but really, no faker than any other holiday), I STILL LOVE IT. Because my parents used to string pink streamers and pink balloons and let my 6 year old self eat a pink cake.

I have a Pavlovian reaction to the holiday.

Partly because I grew up thinking it was a day to tell EVERYONE you loved that you love them. Not just a boyfriend or something. Thus, unlike bitter people who hate valentine's day because they think it excludes people who aren't madly in love, I think it is a good day to call your grandma or an old friend who you haven't spoken to in a while. Anyways, this is just to say I like Valentine's day more than pretty much any other holiday.

Is it actually a holiday? No, I think it is just a pink day, right?

I realize that in posting this information publicly, there is no way I will ever be able to "play it cool" ever, ever again. So suck it:

Normally Michael Leviton plays a ukalale and croons about the ocean, sand, and whales. It's quite endearing. However, for the holiday, he released a video "You're Somebody Even if Nobody Loves You":

Here is a typical song called "Summer's the Worst":

or, "The Beach Gets Cold":


I've been looking for film interpretations of Cortazar's short story Axolotl. This might be the weirdest one:


Thanks to BR, I fell in love with this version of Blake's The Tyger.

3 comments:

danielle v. said...

i love this post and want to make you a pink cake! xo happy almost pink day (i've been calling it this since i was a little little)

Julia Cohen said...

awww, thanks! I bought v-day M&Ms yesterday and ate a large quantity of them.

Emily Kendal Frey said...

I love it too. I love love.