Thursday, July 16, 2009

Don't Get Dish Soap in Your Dish Eye Press

Besides going vegan & actually getting my legs to pedal a bike multiple times a week, there are other things I'm trying to do differently in Denver. 1) make sure I always hang the towel back in the towel rack. Often after I towel-dry my hair, I accidentally leave the towel on the dresser, which is where I find myself when I stop towelling my head & start looking for clothing to wear. However, I'm sure it keeps the towel damper for longer, & this annoys M (also, the towel isn't where it should be). 2) Sometimes I do not click the lids back down/put the caps back on to things right away, such as a) moisturizer, b) dish soap, c) suntan lotion. I'm trying to mend my ways & form better routines. OR WHAT KIND OF PERSON WOULD I BE? Well, a messier one.

Did you know there is such a thing as a wolf spider? In Denver? Specifically, they like to congregate in my bath tub. Which means that while I'd like to treat them kindly, because I have an appreciation for what spiders do with their webs & their mouths, I simply, well, freak out a bit. Because I'm about to jump in the shower, OR, I am already in the shower, and then they reveal themselves to me:

The rational part of me says: Ok, it's good to have wolf spiders in the world. Hi eight-legged creature. But the irrational part of me says: AHHHHHH! I'm in the shower with a wolf spider!!!

***
I'm in the middle of reading The Mezzanine by Nicholas Baker. Have you read it?

I just finished reading The Next American Essay, edited by John D'Agata


***

The new issue of Ekleksographia is up:
http://ekleksographia.ahadadabooks.com/issuetwo/

Featuring work by:

Diana Adams, Cynthia Arrieu-King with Hillary Gravendyk, Anny Ballardini, Jeanne Marie Beaumont, Dan Boehl, Alexander Dickow, Linh Dinh, Tomas Ekström, Erica Miriam Fabri, Farrah Field, Adam Fieled, Annie Finch, Ossian Foley, Jennifer H. Fortin, Maya Funaro, Heather Green, Niels Hav, trans. by P. K. Brask & Patrick Friesen, Scott Hightower, Dan Hoy, Dorta Jagić, trans. by Ana Božičević, Amy King, Tony Mancus, Nicholas Manning, Miguel Murphy, Gina Myers, Keith Newton, Obododimma Oha, Daniela Olszewska, Maya Pindyck, Matthew Rotando, Tomaž Šalamun, trans. with Michael Thomas Taren, Barry Schwabsky, Evie Shockley, Lytton Smith, Sampson Starkweather, Rohith Sundararaman, Chris Vitiello, David Wolach

5 comments:

Elisa Gabbert said...

I like THE MEZZANINE! I also like that issue of whatever it's called.

Julia Cohen said...

I like you

Katharine Ankofski said...

The Mezzanine is fabulous. I just finished copyediting his newest book, The Anthologist, and it's very different but very charming.

steven karl said...

Ah I used to catch wolf spiders as a kid- they are rather sprite on those 8 legs don't you think?

Julia Cohen said...

Kate, you just scored 10 more Cool points.