Tuesday, January 27, 2009

If It's No Heat vs. All-Heat I Choose All-Heat Press

How are you?

Does your building have heat?

Is it winter?

Who made my coat?

Working in a historical landmark has downsides, one being that the heat does not turn on some days and you're forced to type in gloves (or unprofessional fingerless gloves) & eat soup.

On the upside, my friend brought back a mini palm tree from her trip to Florida for me, and I dare say that my palm tree is flourishing, despite the odds.

***
What have you been reading? This week I've been trying to demolish:

Trust me, if you buy this you'll get your money's worth. I can't believe I used that expression, but I'm standing by it. The collection is jammed with short stories. Sometimes I get so immersed in them that I turn the page expecting to start the next chapter and then get sad because it's, well, a short story and not a novel. But then I cheer up because there's more amazing stories to come. Maybe if you really don't like animals of any kind, you might skip it, but besides that little side note, please buy it and talk about it with me. You'll want to make poems of some of these.
***

What have you been watching? In the last week I have seen these movies in the theater:

Happy go Lucky

Wendy and Lucy

Notorious

***

I really wish that the tag line for Notorious was "No dream is too biggie."

***

I'm going to this reading tonight. I'm quite excited to see Kate Greenstreet and Kristi Maxwell read. If you need a refresher on their poetry, get a copy of the new Saltgrass since they are both in it, rocking out:

Tues. Jan. 27, 6:00 p.m. sharp, free
ACA Galleries
529 W. 20th St., 5th Flr.

NYC
Event will be hosted by
Ahsahta Press director and editor Janet Holmes

Featuring readings from
Paige Ackerson-Kiely
Susan Briante
Kate Greenstreet
Kathleen Jesme
Kristi Maxwell
Stephanie Strickland

with music from
Jesse Schoen

4 comments:

Eunuchsblues said...

How was Wendy and Lucy? OLD JOY is one of the only movies I own, and not because you see Will Oldham's bits.

Brendan Harman Alex Goldberg said...

what did you think of the movies?

Julia Cohen said...

I really enjoyed Wendy and Lucy. Michelle Williams was sort of hypnotizing to watch. I had recently seen Into the Wild, about that boy trying to get to Alaska. Bad soundtrack and too many flashbacks and older parental figures trying to quasi-adopt him. Anyways, since this movie is about a girl trying to get to Alaska, I had this unintentional weird comparison going on in my head. I think that the only thing I wish they had added to Wendy & Lucy was one or two situations in which the viewer could have learned a little more about her previous life (through conversation but not necessarily more characters). Because she is so alone. But maybe that's the point, it's not how you got there but how you deal with a brokedown car and a dog.

I also liked Happy Go Lucky. See it with people who want to laugh.


Also, see Notorious with people who want to laugh.

Glenn Ingersoll said...

No dream is too Smalls.