Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Home Sick Home Press

It's 63 degrees in New York today. December 10th. Should I move to higher ground?

I wore my winter coat, gasp, unzipped!

***

I've been sick, no fun. Which means I cannot go to the Bluestockings reading for Jackie Clark or the Circumference reading, both on Thursday. Circumference is the best journal that I never read as thoroughly as I should. It is so good. What is wrong with me? Maybe I will go home tonight and read the back issues I have on my shelf.

Being under the weather also means I lay in bed yesterday and listed to 6 hours of NPR. I mostly listen on Saturdays and Sundays, and then by podcast, so yesterday made me realize that I wanted to 1) quite my job and stand in the hot shower all day listening to the radio.

Although I will say radio news was very repetitive. Particularly because the Illinois Gov' Blagojevich was accused (for good reason) of trying to sell a Senate seat. Oh my lord. I try and think of refined ways to articulate how I feel about Blagojevich but all I come up with is: What an asshole. These are the quotes that were on loop every hour:

“I’ve got this thing,” Mr. Blagojevich said on one recording, according to the affidavit, “and it’s [expletive] golden. And I’m just not giving it up for [expletive] nothing. I’m not going to do it. And I can always use it. I can parachute me there.”

I couldn't find the exact quote, but on the radio you can hear the phone recording of how pissed Blagojevich is when Obama refused to act corruptly rejected the idea of selling the seat to his preferred Senatorial candidate.

NYT says: In fact, there are indications that Mr. Obama and his team refused to go along with the "pay to play" way Blagojevich is accused of operating, offering only "gratitude" if the governor appointed his friend Valerie Jarrett to take his U.S. Senate seat, much to the governor's chagrin.

***

You should check out Scantily Clad Press. They do some glorious e-chapbooks. and they are also accepting submissions, so get your 18-25 page manuscript ready and send it their way:

Scantily Clad Press is accepting manuscripts from poets for publication in our electronic chapbook series.

Submissions are accepted via e-mail as .doc or .rtf attachments. Please include "Scantily Clad Press E-Chap Submission" in your subject line.

http://scantilycladpress.blogspot.com

No comments: