Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Shoehorn Hoof Press

I'm warning you, my mood right now is equivalant to really bad music videos such as (and I am giving you three wildly different "musicians":

Heintje (he's singing on a horse!):

The Ting Tings:


Celtic Thunder:


I realize that I say "Um.." a lot, and 100% more than an adult should. Particularly at restaurants when I'm ordering food, or right before I buy a movie ticket. The annoying thing about it is 3-fold (well, there are probably more than 3 folds but give me a break, ok?): 1) It sounds like I don't know what I want even though I have already made up my mind so it implies indecision, 2) "Um" is usually used as a device to stall for time, and is grossly inarticulate, and 3) everyone else would rather hear me just remain silent for one more second instead of saying "Ummm."

I was thinking about this because I often begin writing blog posts exactly how I talk, and then I have to go back and make myself sound less floaty. For example, I started to tell you:

Um, I think I might go see Blindness tonight with Julianne Moore and Mark Ruffalo.

Pleasedon'tleaveme.

In college, I had a crush on Mark Ruffalo (he was great in You Can Count on Me, with Laura Linny), but then my friend started dating a man who was a Mark Ruffalo look-alike and I had to stop crushing on him because that would have been weird.

Right?

I don't know what I'm talking about. I just really wanted to use the term "crushing" in a sentence without the words "pain of existence."

It's 11:51am and I'm starving. I'm already thinking about the XXX Large popcorn I will get tonight, pretend to share with my friends, but really eat 80% of.

***

Some things to think about for the way-off future of your listening experience:

1) Oct 15th, Wednesday, 8pm
Eleni Sikelianos & James Thomas Stevens
The Poetry Project at St. Marks Church 131 E. 10th St.

Eleni Sikelianos is the author of six books, including The California Poem and The Book of Jon. Du Soleil, de l’histoire, de la vision, a selected poems translated into French, appeared in fall 2007. Forthcoming are a new book of poems, Body Clock and her translation of Jacques Roubaud’s Exchanges on Light. She presently teaches in and directs the Creative Writing Program at the University of Denver. James Thomas Stevens is the author of seven books of poetry, Tokinish (First Intensity Press 1994), Combing the Snakes from His Hair (Michigan State UP), dis(Orient) (Palmpress), Mohawk/Samoa: Transmigrations (subpress), The Mutual Life (Plan B Press), A Bridge Dead in the Water (Salt Publishing) and Bulle/Chimère (First Intensity Press). He is a member of the Akwesasne Mohawk tribe, holds an MFA from Brown University and is a 2000 Whiting Award recipient and a 2005 National Poetry Series finalist. He has published in many journals and done readings from Stirling, Scotland and Cambridge, England to Amman, Jordon and Grenoble, France. He currently teaches English and Native American Studies at the State University of New York at Fredonia.

2) Oct 18th
Saturdays: 4:00 p.m.–6:00 p.m.
308 BOWERY, just north of Houston

TED PEARSON & DREW GARDNER
Ted Pearson is the author of sixteen books of poetry, including Evidence: 1975–1989, Planetary Gear, Songs Aside: 1992–2002, and Encryptions. He also co-edits markszine.com and is a co-author of The Grand Piano. He lives in Redlands, California. Drew Gardner’s books are Petroleum Hat and Sugar Pill. He lives in Harlem. He does musical collaborations with poets and conducts the Poetics Orchestra.

3) October 20th

1 comment:

Kate said...

WHAT A STELLAR NAME FOR A PRESS IF I DO SAY SO MYSELF.