Thursday, September 4, 2008

My Mirror Steamed Up into My Dead Lips Press

I think I'm losing my memory. Basically, I just can't remember anything anymore. This isn't funny to me, it's not me being neurotic. I'm kind of concerned. For example, even though I talked about it today, I can't remember what reading I'm going to tomorrow. It's like I'm looking into a cloud and can't see what's beyond it and the cloud is just frustration and visual images of where I was when I last talked about what I am now trying to remember. Visual things, no words, no word queues to bring it back.

Cumulous clouds.

So, I only know about things to do on Saturday because I cannot remember what is going on this Friday. On Saturday I suggest you come:

Sept 6 - Howl Festival - 10:30 @ 45 Bleeker
Short Film Program curated by Benh Zeitlin
also shorts by Milos Tomic, Nicolas Provost, Rosario Garcia-Montero, Ray Tintori, Randy Krallman, Nash Edgerton.

Benh Zeitlin's film is definitely worth getting yourself to this screening for. This is an old trailer. He might be mad if I post it because it's out-dated. But, you know, suck it:
Glory at Sea

So, if you're in NY, please come.

***
Sunday:

Sunday, September 7, 2008 at 5 pm

JENNIFER KNOX. ADA LIMON.
TOM HAUSHALTER.

Downstairs at CAKESHOP
152 Ludlow
(between Stanton & Rivington)

Trains to:
Delancey-Essex Sts (F, J, M, Z)
2nd Ave-Houston St (F, V)
Grand St (B, D)

ABOUT THE POETS

Jennifer L. Knox has two books of poems in English, Drunk by Noon and A Gringo Like Me—both available from Bloof Books. Her poems have appeared in Best American Poetry 1997, 2003 and 2006, Best American Erotic Poems, Great American Prose Poems: From Poet to Present, and Free Radicals: American Poets Before Their First Books. Jennifer was born in Lancaster, California— crystal meth capitol of the nation, and home to Frank Zappa, Captain Beefheart and the Space Shuttle.

Ada Limón's first book, lucky wreck, was the winner of the Autumn House Poetry Prize and her second book, This Big Fake World, was the winner of the Pearl Poetry Prize. She's won the Chicago Literary Award and fellowships from the Provincetown Fine Arts Work Center and the New York Foundation for the Arts. She is the Creative Director for Travel + Leisure Magazine and teaches a Master Class for Columbia University. Her third book of poems Sharks in the Rivers, will be published by Milkweed Editions in 2010. She also sings in a band called Lucky Wreck.

Tom Haushalter, born of sturdy Midwestern stock, left the country for the city. Since the honor of an MFA from Columbia University, he has published poems in Greensboro Review, New Orleans Review, Harpur Palate, Slice Magazine and Perihelion. In the fall of 2006, Tom toured the American heartland with fellow poet Emmett Tracy, leaving them high on verse from Oberlin to Wheeling. Now he works in book publishing, and lives in Brooklyn with his bride.

***

Also, I want a Murphy Bed at work.


Also, I will write about amazing books very soon. Hold tight.

4 comments:

Matt said...

KGB?

Julia Cohen said...

Yes! KGB is this Friday!

ryan manning said...

the next night we ate whale

Julia Cohen said...

totally. I may have to miss Tao Lin and the gang tonight to bring soup to a sick boy, alas.

Save some whale meat for me.