Tuesday, June 10, 2008

If You Press Up Against Me In The Summer Night You Might Get Stuck To Me For Good Press

It's summer hot. People are complaining but I love it. I'm still surprised by how hot it is and how quickly everything heats up (and how you don't want to use the oven during the summer because the kitchen gets a little sweltery) but I'm just so relieved not to be cold anymore.

***

If you could only take one, non-collection poetry book with you to a desert island (you've been exiled) what would it be?

If you could only take one, non-collection book of any kind what would it be (the same book or different)?

Let me know, I'm curious.

***

I'm working on two poems right now. One is called:

"Call Me a Grown-Up but My Five Eyes Blink at Once"

and the other is

"The Decoy Museum Is Still"

I'm not sure why I'm telling you this. I'm writing poems slowly these days but I am determined to make something out of these two. It also seems like the lines I'm writing are fitting into two different formats. In one type, the poems are longer, have airier spaces (like tab key spaces) in each line, and are split into sections. The other type has quippier, more contemporary words with short, succinct lines in couplets or 3 lined stanzas. For the last few months I wasn't sure where I was going, but now I feel like the lines I'm coming up with are getting filtered into one of the two types of poems I'm writing and it's easier for me to see lines/concepts coming together as cohesive poems. So I still feel like progress is slow, but I'm more confident about how things are developing.

***
Did you hear about this?
From the BBC news on May 30th (I'm a little slow): Isolated tribe spotted in Brazil:

One of South America's few remaining uncontacted indigenous tribes has been spotted and photographed on the border between Brazil and Peru.

The Brazilian government says it took the images to prove the tribe exists and help protect its land.

The pictures, taken from an aeroplane, show red-painted tribe members brandishing bows and arrows.




More than half the world's 100 uncontacted tribes live in Brazil or Peru, Survival International says.

Stephen Corry, the director of the group - which supports tribal people around the world - said such tribes would "soon be made extinct" if their land was not protected.

'Monumental crime'

Survival International says that although this particular group is increasing in number, others in the area are at risk from illegal logging.


Uncontacted tribe near Brazil-Peru border

The photos were taken during several flights over one of the most remote parts of the Amazon rainforest in Brazil's Acre region.

They show tribe members outside thatched huts, surrounded by the dense jungle, pointing bows and arrows up at the camera.

"We did the overflight to show their houses, to show they are there, to show they exist," the group quoted Jose Carlos dos Reis Meirelles Junior, an official in the Brazilian government's Indian affairs department, as saying.

"This is very important because there are some who doubt their existence."

He described the threats to such tribes and their land as "a monumental crime against the natural world" and "further testimony to the complete irrationality with which we, the 'civilised' ones, treat the world".

Disease is also a risk, as members of tribal groups that have been contacted in the past have died of illnesses that they have no defence against, ranging from chicken pox to the common cold.

***

So in sum, they are taking pictures and disturbing the tribe in order to ultimately protect them by proving their existence and then preventing people from developing the/encroaching upon the land. It must have been odd to be the photographer or pilot in that plane, because as the tribe members clearly put on war makeup and tried to take down the plane, might it be fair to think that the pilot/photographer are now going to be apart of that culture's mythology? Maybe? I don't know.


***

I do know that there is a great reading this Friday I won't be able to go to but I do hope you make it:

is Friday the Thirteenth at 7pm

Zachary Schomburg!
Genine Lentine!
Emily Kendal Frey!
Genya Turovskaya!

Get Very Superstitious!
Only at Pete's Candy Store
709 Lorimer Street, Williamsburg, Brooklyn
"L" to Lorimer, "G" to Metropolitan.

Zachary Schomburg is the author of The Man Suit (Black Ocean 2007) and
has poems from his forthcoming second book, Scary, No Scary in Denver
Quarterly, Born, and Fou. His translations of the Russian poet, Andrei
Sen-Senkov, are forthcoming in Circumference and Mantis and his poetry
collaborations with Emily Kendal Frey are forthcoming in Pilot, Diode,
and Sir!. With Mathias Svalina, he co-edits Octopus Magazine and
Octopus Books. He is wrapping up his Ph.D at the University of
Nebraska.

Genine Lentine's poems, essays, and interviews have appeared in
American Poetry Review, American Speech, Diagram, Gulf Coast, Ninth
Letter, O, the Oprah Magazine, and Tricycle. Her collaboration with
Stanley Kunitz and photographer Marnie Crawford Samuelson, The Wild
Braid: A Poet Reflects on a Century in the Garden was published in
2005 by W.W. Norton. Her manuscript, Mr. Worthington's Beautiful
Experiments on Splashes was a finalist for the National Poetry Series.
Her project, Listening Booth was recently part of Southern Exposure
Gallery's 1st Annual Public Art day. She lives in San Francisco.

Emily Kendal Frey lives in Portland, Oregon. Recent work is
forthcoming from New York Quarterly, Spinning Jenny and 42opus.
Collaborative work with Sarah Bartlett will appear in Portland Review,
Bat City Review and the horse less press anthology New Pony. Poems
from Something Should Happen at Night Outside, a collaboration with
Zachary Schomburg, will appear in Pilot, Sir!, Diode and Jubilat.

Genya Turovskaya's poetry and translations from Russian have appeared
in Chicago Review, Conjunctions, 6x6, Aufgabe, Poets and Poems,
Octopus, and other publications. She lives in Brooklyn, where she is
an editor of the Eastern European Poets Series at Ugly Duckling
Presse. She is the author of a chapbook, The Tides (Octopus Books,
2007).

***

Zach is also reading Wednesday at the New York City Library at 6:30pm. I am really hoping I can make it. I still need to buy a bridal shower gift after work on Wednesday, which makes the timing tight. But I don't have a choice about the gift. I need to take it on a plane with me Thursday morning to a wedding. But I also will be very sad if I miss the reading. Basically, I am bad at using my lunch breaks to do anything productive, but I really need to step up tomorrow and get this present thing done. Any suggestions for non-kinky bridal shower gifts?

7 comments:

Matt said...

As for poetry, I would take something I haven't read yet by an author I know I like. Something long. How about Ashbery's Flow Chart.

As for any kind of book--okay, this is cheating, but your wording leaves the loophole--I would take one of those big photography books full of pictures of naked women.

(I would get tired of a prose book after reading it once.)

Julia Cohen said...

no, books of photography/art is totally a viable option.

someone else said Joy of Cooking. Although I think a cook book on a deserted island might be more torturous than a book of naked women.

Mark said...

I saw those pictures of the tribesmen before and was thinking about the mythology thing as well. In that plane you are basically a magician or alien or sorcerer or god or something. Whatever you are, the tribesmen don't look very happy about it. Proof, I guess, that we are fundamentally inclined to shoot at things that come out of the sky.

As for the island, I would have to opt for Kenneth Rexroth's 100 Poems from the Chinese (the book that got me started on poetry) and the King James Bible (though not for any kind of religious reasons, simply because therein is contained just about every narrative in the Western tradition thereafter).

Tight said...

Emerson's Collected Essays. And the OED.

xo,

Andy

Julia Cohen said...

I thought I might bring the OED as well. But if we are on the same desert island, than I can bring another book if you have that.

Tight said...

are you suggesting a poetry commune?

A

Julia Cohen said...

Why AH, I think I am!