Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Master Press

1) So I handed in my MFA thesis. Since I will not be going to graduation I consider yesterday my graduation. I am now a master in poetry. Any questions regarding fine arts, come to me.

2) Just kidding. I don't like questions.

3) I think I want to learn to play the xylophone. Unfortunately, upon brief investigation, real ones are quite expensive:
$2,000

So I am thinking about buying one of these:
$20.00

I can't sing. I'm not being modest. Like, I really cannot sing. I wouldn't even sing in the shower. No, no dice. But I like to hum and I like to sing/talk under my breath. Which is what happens when the act of humming gets carried away. So I think that this 20 dollar xylophone will let me bash it lightly and sing/hum under my breath when I am home alone, and nobody can make fun of me.

**

I think I've mentioned that I live vicariously through the band Snowblink:
Listen to some songs
Well, the singer, Daniela Gesundheit, let me in on a little secret. She has a youtube video of her singing, at age 6, the Beach Boys' Kokomo:

Yes, from 1988, 6 years old! She is now all grown up and moving to Toronto and I hope to visit her in August.

***

Tomorrow, Thursday, something amazing is happening in Brooklyn:

Mei-Mei Berssenbrugge, Rusty Morrison and Mónica de la Torre
Thursday, May 8th
7 pm (doors open at 6:30 pm)
Pierogi Gallery
177 North 9th Street (off of Bedford Ave)
Brooklyn, NY 11211
http://www.pierogi2000.com/

I would very much like to go, but I have my thesis reading that night. So you will have to attend and tell me all about it.

***

The new issue of Word For/Word is out, #13 online at: www.wordforword.info. Check out Kate Schapira's poems, Emily Frey's poems, Jared White's poems, and George Kalamaras' poems.

1 comment:

jose said...

maybe you could take lessons from this girl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYYePJgc3Jw