Wednesday, March 5, 2008

If You Pay Me To Feel Emotions Then I Will Feel The Emotions You Want Your Poem to Evoke Press

I've decided I need a second income:

*If You Pay Me To Feel Emotions Then I Will Feel The Emotions You Want Your Poem to Evoke*

I don't charge that much. There is also a sliding scale depending on your income. So if you do not make that much money, I won't over charge you to read your poem and feel "compassion," "exhuberance," or even the "detached apathy" you were going for with that last stanza. I will feel it all, emotionally, if you pay me. You can pay me in stamps, since I am low on stamps these days. I need stamps, really. What are we up to these days, 41 cents?

**
Both of these movies are on my netflix list. Can you tell which one is the nature documentary and which one is not?:


When I was very young I didn't know the different in terminology between science and sci-fi. I just didn't know what the word "fiction" meant. I think that even if I did know, it was negated with the very serious "science" before it. Anyways, I was allowed to watch science documentaries on TV and mostly anything else that was on PBS. However, I definitely watched The Blob thinking that I was allowed to, because it was science, and there was a little "sci-fi" marker on the corner of the TV station telling me so. I was wrong. I was also horrified that it was a science fact that giant blobs of what looked like congealed mucus could fall from the ceiling and encase you. Needless to say, I went screaming into my mother's room. She was napping.

I have a love/ hate relationship with horror movies.

***
How will you know if you have a love/ hate or a love/ love relationship with my chapbook if you don't buy it? It's that time to throw down $6 and do the right thing.

This chapbook, Who Could Forget the Sensational First Evening of the Night, is currently the second section in my larger manuscript. I recently updated the titles of these poems to go as:

Not the Grasses
1,000 Rooftops
The Ride Is More Music Than Ash
Two-Headed Kitten
The Chorus Brushes Its Teeth
Comb the Chrysalis from Your Beard to Fasten the Milkweed
Who Could Forget the Sensational First Evening of the Night
What Happens Around the Porch Eventually Shines Upon It
Not Any Replica
I Click with the Soundproof
If the Sandbar Is Temporary than a Promise Is Not
The Post

You can buy it here, thanks to lovely H_NGM_N B__KS:
http://www.h-ngm-n.com/h_ngm_n-b__ks/chapbook-7-who-could-forget-the-sensational-first-evening-of.html
**

Ok, enough "fun & games." Let's get down to business.

**

There are two readings this Sunday:

1) Mark Bibbins is Headlining:
We are writing to announce a new poetry reading series. Tea Leaf Readings, at the Tea Lounge, Union St., Brooklyn on Sunday, March 9th at 7PM. Michael Wilson, Caroline Depalma, Jackie Clark, and Mark Bibbins will be reading their work.

Hosted by The Tea Lounge, Julia Sorrentino, and Komo Ananda

Directions: Take the 1,2,3,4, N to Atlantic-Pacific and transfer to the R. Exit at Union St. stop. Or, take the R to Union St. When you exit the subway walk towards Union St. and turn right. It's 837 Union St. on the left side.


2)I like Narrow House and I like things published by UDP so you might enjoy your stay at this reading:

Sunday March 9 at the Zinc-TRS:

ELIZABETH REDDIN & JUSTIN SIROIS

6:30 PM
Zinc Bar
90 West Houston (beneath the barbie fur shop)

$5 goes to the poets. If you don't have $5, come anyway.

Elizabeth Reddin is the author of the The Hot Garment Of Love Is Insecure from Ugly Duckling Presse. She was born in Torrance, California at the Little Company of Mary Hospital; in 1993 she moved to New York City. She is also a recorded talking thoughts performer and plays music in a story band called Legends, with Raquel Vogl and James Loman. Her work has been published in The Brooklyn Rail as well as in UDP's newspaper New York Nights and poetry journal 6x6.

justin sirois is founder and one of three co-directors of narrow house, that publishing thing that used to be only a record thing. His new book, Secondary Sound (BlazeVOX Books) explores copyright reform, digital piracy, and listening for the ringtones that aren't really there. He lives in Baltimore, Maryland where he occasionally designs security documents for the Social Security Administration.

**
Oh, and Monday:
Since I'm one of the few poeple left in the world who has not read Ben Lerner, I figured I should go to his reading on Monday. Right?

Join us for a special reading by some of the best, most exciting, new American poets: Ben Lerner, Rick Barot, and Sherwin Bitsui. Ben Lerner is the author of The Lichtenberg Figures and Angle of Yaw (a finalist for the National Book Award). He is also the co-editor of the important new journal No: a journal of the arts. Rick Barot's first book The Darker Fall, was the winner of the Kathryn A. Morton Prize. Monday, we are also celebrating his second book, Want, which just came out in February. Sherwin Bitsui is the author of Shapeshift and the recipient of the 2006 Whiting Writers' Award. He should be reading some great new poems for us.

Reading Between A & B

Monday, March 10, 2008 7:30 PM

Ben Lerner
Rick Barot
Sherwin Bitsui

11th Street Bar
510 E 11th Street, between Ave A & B
Closest subway stop is the L at 1st Ave.;

other close stops include L at 3rd Ave and Union Square (N, R, W, Q, 4, 5, 6).
Admission is always FREE.
Please see our website: www.ReadAB.com for poems by our readers!


More information about the readers and the series:

Ben Lerner is from Topeka, Kansas. His books are The Lichtenberg Figures and Angle of Yaw, both published by Copper Canyon Press. He has been a Fulbright Scholar and a finalist for the National Book Award. He coedits No: a journal of the arts and has recently joined the English department at the University of Pittsburgh.

Rick Barot was born in the Philippines and grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area. His first book, The Darker Fall, was the winner of the Kathryn A. Morton Prize in Poetry and was published by Sarabande Books in 2002. His new book, Want, will be published by Sarabande in early 2008. His poems and essays have appeared in numerous publications, including New England Review, The New Republic, Poetry, and Virginia Quarterly Review. His work has also appeared in many anthologies, including The New Young American Poets, Asian American Poetry: The Next Generation, and Legitimate Dangers: American Poets of the New Century. He has received fellowships from the National Endowment for the Arts and Stanford University. He lives in Tacoma, Washington and teaches both in the Program for Writers at Warren Wilson College and at Pacific Lutheran University.
Sherwin Bitsui,

DinĂ© (Navajo) poet, is the author of Shapeshift, his first poetry collection, and a recipient of the 2006 Whiting Writers’ Award. Other honors include an Individual Poet Grant from the Witter Bynner Foundation for Poetry, a Truman Capote Creative Writing Fellowship, and a University of Arizona Academy of American Poets Award. His work has appeared in several literary journals including American Poets, The Iowa Review, Frank, Red Ink, and others.

3 comments:

Justin said...

hey Pain Fantasy is that book you wanted me to read...you should give me your other copy and then I could read it.

also, i think you still don't know what fiction is.

pow!

Julia Cohen said...

remind me to lend you a copy. I already have things written on my hand I'm trying to remember. Such as "Shark!" because (don't ask why) I was going to bring a rubber shark to work today. I don't know if I want to write "Pain Fantasy" on my hand, it might give the wrong impression. Well, maybe not.

Maximum Etc said...

i will trade you Pain Fantasy for your Pink Institution back.....this is instantly the best conversation ever.