Thursday, March 20, 2008

Crayon Physics Press

I'm back from my conference! And oh my, I have discovered the best computer game ever. You have to watch the demo, it's called Crayon Physics Deluxe. I think it was invented just for poets (or kids who have parents who know better than to let them play Grand Theft Auto).

You basically draw on the computer screen with a "crayon" and build ways for the circle and the star to meet (you can draw anything from cars, to wedges, to falling boulders- anything that will help push the circle to the star or vice versa. listen with the volume on, it has nice music, too:

"Crayon Physics Deluxe lets you draw objects on the screen by clicking and dragging your mouse, or by drawing with the stylus of a tablet PC, as in this video. The objects you scrawl become part of the game world. The goal is to create objects that propel a crudely drawn ball toward a crudely drawn star. There is no single correct way to scoot that ball around; the fun is in exploring the options. Within seconds of hitting start, you're furiously scribbling blocks and ramps and wedges and seesaws, whatever it takes to reach the goal."

Did you watch the video? It totally wooed me. I need this game / this game might be my down fall in terms of productivity.

***
I went to Unnameable books over the weekend and ended up spending $70 on poetry and Benjamin's The Arcades Project. I will show you the poetry next time I go home and write down the names of all the awesome titles I picked up / made me broke.
***
FRIDAY:

Movie time. I am totally seeing 10,000bc.

I know, I know.

***

SATURDAY:
There is a reading/party for Small Anchor Press this Saturday. You should come.
Readers will be:
Lonely Christopher, Satan
Joshua Cohen, Two Tribal Stories
Mathias Svalina, The Viral Lease

I mentioned this press before because they throw down both fiction and poetry chapbooks. Anyways, at this event, there will be chili, cornbread and pear tarts,
but you might want to bring your own drinks. It's at 6pm at the Small Anchor home base: 241 Clifton Place, #4 Brooklyn. G-train to bedford/nostrand; call 718-501-8888 upon arrival.

***
MONDAY:
March 24th, 7:00pm

New York City

A CELEBRATION OF VLADIMIR MAYAKOVSKY

A reading of the essential Russian futurist poet's works. With
Michael Almereyda, Rachel Cohen, Martha Plimpton, Ron Padgett,
Campbell Scott, Val Vinokur, and Matvei Yankelevich. Co-sponsored by
Bowery Arts and Science and Farrar, Straus and Giroux.

Admission is $8 / $5 for PSA and Bowery Poetry Club members and
Students.

Bowery Poetry Club

308 Bowery

***

TUESDAY:
Boog City presents

celebrating the renegade press

Outside Voices
(Brooklyn, N.Y.)

Readings from poets in the forthcoming
The Outside Voices 2008 Anthology of Younger Poets

This Tues. March 25, 6:00 p.m. sharp, free

ACA Galleries
529 W.20th St., 5th Flr.
NYC

Event will be hosted by
Outside Voices editor Jessica Smith


Featuring readings from

Ellen Baxt
Amy Berkowitz
C.S. Carrier
Lisa Lightsey
j.s. makkos
Justin Marks
Nicole Mauro
Steve McLaughlin
John Most
Marci Nelligan

There will be wine, cheese, and crackers, too.
Curated and with an introduction by Boog City editor David Kirschenbaum

Outside Voices
http://poetry2008.blogspot.com

***

That's all before Wednesday.

1 comment:

Will Larsen said...

I have no idea how I ended up here. I feel like I have wandered in, to wherever you live, and have spent the last hour thumbing through all the books in your living room. I feel creepy. Which is why I'm leaving a sticky note on your table saying thanks for the Crayon Physics Game.

Will