Friday, February 22, 2008

Rolex vs. Roll-a-Dex Press

I'd choose the Rolex. Then I would sell it & give you a cakeshop & a book contract.

I'm that kind of friend.

**

I REALLY want to go see Cai Guo-Qiang's show at the Guggenheim. (If I called it "The Gugge" would that be like how Jewish women call Bloomingdales "Bloomies"? Do other people besides Jewish women from Brooklyn call it Bloomies? I only know my family. Let's go to Bloomies.)

Anyways...:

On January 18, 2008, a team consisting of the artist Cai Guo-Qiang, members of his studio, full-time staff, and temporary installation crews of the Guggenheim Museum’s Curatorial, Art Services and Preparations, Registrar, Conservation, Fabrications, Construction, Multimedia, Lighting, and Exhibition Management departments began the month-long installation of Cai Guo-Qiang: I Want to Believe. The images here represent the technically challenging task of installing three of the exhibition’s works: Borrowing Your Enemy’s Arrows (1998), a suspended fishing boat pierced with approximately 3,000 arrows; Head On (2006), an arc of 99 life-size replicas of wolves that appear to be leaping head on into a glass wall; and Inopportune: Stage One (2004), a series of nine cars, some of which are suspended from the top of the museum’s rotunda.

Photo from exhibit:

Another:


Who's coming with me? You? Good.
**

I went to Barnes & Noble the other day. These books were very close to each other on display. You have to guess which one is actually a children's book and which one is actually for grown-ups:
A)

B)


C) Well, This is definitely part of the cover for the children's book.
I went with a co-worker to get his niece a gift. So I found myself looking at the new kid books. I was taking a close up of this cover and the woman next to me bumped into me as she reached for a stuffed animal. She apologized and said, "Sorry, Im in your way." and I was like, "No, sorry, you're just reaching for a duck toy, I'm the grownup in the kids section taking photos. Sorry..." And then I scurried away.

3 comments:

steven karl said...

when do you want to go to the um, "gugge?"

Mark said...

If you can give a date in advance that you want to see the show, Rachel can put you on the list to get in free (she needs to know how many people she should put down also). Rachel works at the...um...."Gug" (They do call it that apparently, though they probably all say "Bloomies" also...)

Julia Cohen said...

Mark,
That's amazing! I might very well take you up on it (although if New School can get me in for free, than I wouldn't have to heckle you.) Maybe we could make a field trip of it, I'd love to see you too.

Soon.