Sunday, February 10, 2008

Oneupsmanship Press

I think that I have been looking at the ground too much. No, not in a metaphorical sense. In the sense that I saw this robot body squished into the pavement last night:


And then, this morning on my way to my office (Yes, it's Sunday) I saw a trail of cookie dough. Cookie dough, not cookie crumbs:
Trail #1:

Trail #2:

Jackpot:


Then sometimes it takes me a while to build up the energy to go to work on a Sunday so I see what sort of photos I can take from my bed. My roommate, Ludwig, watches me from the living room and makes comments such as "Hey, what do you think you're doing?" and "Should you really be taking pictures of your wall?" and "I'm hungry.":

My wall/scratches:


Drowning:

When I was in the UK this summer I bought some newspaper images and articles from before 1923, which means that they are in the public domain and I can use them however my tender heart pleases. This image says, "The Movement By Which Air Is Made To Enter The Lungs," which will clearly go in a poem very soon.

This Bag Is Not A Toy:


This Toy Is Not A Bag/ Stickers:


***

Ok, besides the reading I'm going to on Monday at A&B, there are some other readings happening that I won't make:

You can't read the small font either? Ok, it's this Thursday and features poets such as Jennifer Michael Hecht, Christine Hamm, and Nick Adamski and then hot hot hot New School MFA graduates. Click on the image for the "deets."

Then, if you're thinking about going to either of the readings below, go to the first one so you can hear Maggie Wells read. Well, Honor Moore will be rocking out the second one so I guess it's your call:

Two readings to celebrate The Best American Erotic Poems: From 1800 to the Present ed. David Lehman:

February 11, 2008, 7:00 pm
David Lehman and contributors Sarah Arvio, Star Black, Laura Cronk, Michael Quattrone, Paul Violi, and Maggie Wells.
The Museum of Sex
233 Fifth Avenue (@ 27th Street)
New York, NY 10016
General Information: (212) 689-6337
FREE


February 14, 2008, 7:00 p.m.
David Lehman and contributors Billy Collins, Deborah Landau, Noah Michelson, Honor Moore, Molly Peacock,
and Mark Strand.
New York University
Hemmerdinger Hall, Silver Center
100 Washington Square East
New York, NY
(212) 998-8816
FREE

***
I've been going through the presses I like, seeing what places have open readings/do not say "NO unsolicited manuscripts." MANY places are not looking at manuscripts right now unless they are solicited so I figure I would save you some time if I share my little journey (read "little journey" as "how I wasted my Sunday") with you:

Press (non-university) that are NOT going to look at your ms right now unless they asked for it:

Copper Canyon
Coffee House Press
BOA Editions
Coach House Books
Barrowstreet Books
Carolina Wren Press
Hanging Loose Press
Red Hen press
New Issies
Litmus Press
Peurgia Press (if you'r female, check back in August)
Quale Press

Then:
Red Morning (closed now, will reopen soonish)
Saturnalia Books (closed now, will reopen in April)
Omnidawn (closed now, will reopen in March)

Ok, I'm stopping with that list because I'm getting tired of looking up presses. I'll post more later.

***
To presses that ARE reading right now, I'm going to send out my full length ms with the title "Triggermoon Triggermoon." What you're feeling is love.

Right? Right?

4 comments:

Logan Ryan Smith said...

the presses that ARE open list would be pretty helpful.

Julia Cohen said...

Yeah, I'm working on it- that was my original intention. It seems like a lot of presses are closed to unsolicited work unless they are having a contest, so then "open" becomes about whether you want to submit to a specific contest with a specific judge. And most contests are all posted on Poets & Writers (I know you know this). I was trying to figure out what was happening with presses that aren't having contest deadlines at the end of this month. My hope was to put the list up of presses that have open submissions sans contest but most of the ones I looked up seemed closed. Kudos to Counterpath, though, that reads unsolicited manuscripts all year round and has a killer list.

Logan Ryan Smith said...

BLAZEVOX, also has an open reading period.

Logan Ryan Smith said...

oh, and thanks for letting me know about Counterpath. i've already sent an inquiry to see if they'll take a look at IN A STATE. i think, considering who they have published, that they may like my book.

i'm not going to participate in any contests, though. at least none that cost me mula.