Monday, September 24, 2007

Math Bear Helps Poetry Bear With Homework Press

A few things on our business agenda today:

1. Our stoic and talented Kitchen Press editor, Justin Marks, is reading at Pete's Candy Store this Friday:

Pete's Candy Store —
September 28, 2007 7:00PM
709 Lorimer St., Brooklyn, NY, United States

Stephanie Balzer earned an MFA from the University of Arizona. Her poems have appeared in Mid-American Review, Chelsea, and CUE: A Journal of Prose Poetry. A chapbook of her prose poetry is forthcoming from Kore Press. She lives in Tucson and works for a nonprofit

Justin Marks' latest chapbook is [Summer insular] (horse less press, 2007). His poems and reviews appear in recent issues of Absent, La Petite Zine, horse less review, Octopus, Soft Targets, and Word for/ Word; and are forthcoming from Bedside Guide to No Tell Motel – Second Floor, Outside Voices 2008 Anthology of Younger Poets, Cannibal and Tarpaulin Sky. He is the founder and Editor of Kitchen Press Chapbooks, and lives in New York City.

Matthew Thorburn's first book is Subject to Change (New Issues, 2004). More recent poems appear in The Paris Review, Barrow Street and Pool. He has also contributed book reviews to Boston Review, Rattle and Octopus, and writes about writing at www.matthewthorburn.blogspot.com.
***

2. An alternative plan if you'd like to listen to out-of-towner-poets rock out that same night:
Dorothea Lasky and Laura Solomon
Jimmy’s No.43 Stage
8pm
43 East 7th Street
between 2nd & 3rd Avenues
NYC

I would hope Lasky reads her poem that begins, "Laura Solomon you are my best friend" because it's an awesome poem. It's one of those poems that are ebullient silly in moments and then scissor kicks at you with seriousness and beauty that makes you feel complete and empty all at once. I haven't read any Solomon yet so I may take a Google break tomorrow and see what's up.
***

3. Moving right along: Janaka Stuckey is featured on Not Tell Motel this week:
(www.notellmotel.org)
So don't miss that.

4. When was the last time you read Neruda? There are tons of volumes of his work, some arranged by theme (i.e. love poems)- but if you don’t own it, you should get Neruda: Selected Poems (edited by Nathaniel Tarn). Sometimes I get the sense that he’s a poet people say they like but then do not go back and re-read for years. Subtle visitor, do buy this book. I’ve typed up some of the lines that make me feel that when it rains, we should all run through sopping fields, throw mud at each other and then nap together inside a tree’s hollow drum:

It happens that I am tired of being a man.
It happens that I go into the tailor’s shops and the movies
all shriveled up, impenetrable, like a felt swan
navigating on a water of origin and ash.

***

Every day you play with the light of the universe.
Subtle visitor, you arrive in the flower and the water.
You are more than this white head that I hold tightly
as a bunch of flowers, every day, between my hands.

You are like nobody since I love you.
Let me spread you out among yellow garlands.
Who writes your name in letters of smoke among the stars of the south?
Oh let me remember you as you were before you existed.

***
But the hour of vengeance falls, and I love you.

***
I need a flash of that persistent brightness,
a feast of kingsmen claiming all I own.

***
From conversations wasted like powdered lumber,
with humility of chairs, with words wrapped up
in slaving for a secondary will,
having that feel of milk, of wasted weeks,
of air locked above cities—

***
deliriously I close my teeth on their poppy light

***

The young man with no memories salutes you, asking after his lost will,
his hands move in your atmosphere like birds,
and around him is a great moisture:
crossing his unfinished thoughts…

***
Young homosexuals and girls in love,
and widows gone to seed, sleepless, delirious,
and novice housewives pregnant some thirty hours,
the hoarse cats cruising across my garden’s shadows
like a necklace of throbbing, sexual oysters
surround my solitary home…

***
I bet that your fingers are already tapping out www.amazon.com to order this collection. Right? Right. Also, if you have to order a book online, do you prefer B&N over Amazon or vice versa or something else entirely?

***
For the second weekend in a row I'll be out of New York so you'll have to tell me about these great readings and whatnot. I'll pick some Nebraska apples for you, though.

1 comment:

Carlos said...

These articles are fantastic; the information you show us is interesting for everybody and is really good written. It’s just great!! Do you want to know something more? Read it...:Great investment opportunity in Costa Rica: jcondos house, costa rica beach condos, condos rentals. Visit us for more info at: http://www.jaco-bay.com/