Friday, August 3, 2007

Karaoke Is The Greatest Form of Poetry? Press

Straight to the business of literary activities. If you're still looking for something to do tonight, check out:

Paragraph Reading
Friday, August 3rd
Helen Schulman & Jeffrey Frank
Reading: Clay, 24 West 14th Street
Reception:: Paragraph, 35 West 14th Street
8:00pm - Free and Open to the Public

Paragraph is honored to host a reading with fiction writers Helen Schulman and Jeffrey Frank at Clay, followed by a wine and cheese reception at Paragraph. Free and open to the public.

Helen Schulman is most recently the author of A Day at the Beach. "Schulman's triumph here is that she breaks our hearts," raves The New York Times. She is also the author of the critically acclaimed novels, P.S., The Revisionist and Out Of Time, and the short story collection Not A Free Show. P.S. was made into a feature film starring Laura Linney. Her fiction and non-fiction have appeared in Vanity Fair, Time, Vogue, GQ, The New York Times Book Review and The Paris Review. She is presently the Fiction Coordinator for The New School's graduate writing program.

Jeffrey Frank is a senior editor at The New Yorker and author of the highly praised novels The Columnist and Bad Publicity. David Sedaris hailed his most recent novel, Trudy Hopedale, as "Another triumph from one of America's most reliable and inventive comic novelists... understated, cunning and relentlessly funny."

***
That sounds fun. Am I allowed to tell Jeffrey Frank that he needs to hire a new poetry editor at The New Yorker?

Though, did you read the poem by D. Nurske in the last issue? The poem is called "There Is No Time, She Writes" and it's quite beautiful. The last two lines are, "and a small bell chimes/ in the stupefying heat."

***
We have a new winner for the $100,000 Wallace Stevens Award:

2007 Winner: Charles Simic

Judges:
Frank Bidart, Rita Dove, Robert Hass, Lyn Hejinian, Galway Kinnell, Nathaniel Mackey, Sharon Olds, Carl Phillips, Robert Pinsky, Kay Ryan, Gary Snyder, Gerald Stern, Susan Stewart, James Tate, Ellen Bryant Voigt, and C.K. Williams

Winner 2006: Michael Palmer
Judges:
Robert Hass, Fanny Howe, Susan Stewart, Arthur Sze, and Dean Young

Winner: 2005 Gerald Stern
Judges:
Frank Bidart, Lucille Clifton, Toi Derricotte, Sharon Olds, and Kevin Young

Winner: 2004 Mark Strand
Judges: Rosanna Warren, Jonathan Aaron, W. S. DiPiero, Jane Hirshfield, Lynne McMahon

Am I incorrect in saying: Simic won this award the same day he became Poet Laureate. This means that Charlie had himself maybe the best day a poet's had since Keats noticed that vase at the British Museum.
(Why were there so many judges for this year's competition, though?)

***

So, karaoke terrifies me. Yet, I found myself at a goodbye party unfolding within the confines of a karaoke bar last night. Since I do not sing within the boarders of America, I usually spend the whole time trying to find someone who will sing Tainted Love on my behalf. No dice. However, our female Catalog Manager did sing J-Z's "I Got 99 Problems," which ruled:

I believe there are two Karaoke-type reality/game shows on TV right now and I can 100% guarantee that neither will allow contestants to perform this song.

I got a digital camera. Note that the above shot is all my own. I'm "all about" capturing the moment.

I was learning how to use my camera last evening. This is a big step, I may not have a functioning phone at which you can reach me, but now I can post pictures of myself holding up cardboard signs letting you know I'm alive and kickin' it ("Yo Billy Collins, meet me at Bally's Total Fitness."). This is a photo of my bedroom wall. I have a friend who draws these awesome(ly creepy) pictures and I collect them:

2 comments:

Kate said...

guess who went to the reading that you suggested even though you didn't go and then saw two of her coworkers there and then ate cheese and drank wine with her Ohio friend Natalia and sat talking with the oldest, strangest man ever named bill who, in the days after 9/11, "isn't going to lie, [I] really enjoyed the days off. Those were sunny, nice days."

ME, IT WAS ME!

Celia said...

This page is fantastic, what you show us is very interesting and important, do you want to see something more? Look: Great investment opportunity in jaco beach hotel, jaco beach front hotel , jaco beach hotel costa rica. Visit us for more info at: http://www.jaco-bay.com/