Thursday, July 26, 2007

Your Box Turtle Is, Um, Getting Pretty Boxy Press

So I went to this last night because I have a mild comic-crush on Eugene Mirman:

A weekly show produced by Eugene and Bobby Tisdale at Cinema Classics (332 E 11, between 1st and 2nd). Each show will feature about 5 performers (standup, sketch, video and who knows) creating something fun and weird for every show. 8 PM, $5. Many of the performers have appeared on television! (Holy shit, yes!) Including: Conan, Comedy Central, Letterman, Mr. Show, Daily Show, Dr. Katz and movies and such. Some have not. Always delightful and special.

It was a cornicopia of laughter. I went with PT and bummed into a bunch of old friends. You should come with me next Wednesday, it's only $5 bucks. "We can get to know each other" whoever you are.

****

I missed this:

Opium Magazine's Literary Death Match in Washington Square Park

TONIGHT, Wednesday, July 25, 6:30 pm
Washington Square Park, Garibaldi Plaza

Featuring readings by: WILLIAM WALSH, TONY O'NEILL, TAO LIN, and MAUREEN
TKACIK

Judges: WESLEY STACE, LEIGH NEWMAN, and BEN GREENMAN

Host: ANTHONY TOGNAZZINI

Opium's Literary Death Match is a fun, hip, happy competition that features
reader representatives from four different literary publications (online
and print) in a gut-busting, tear-jerking read-off. Each reader has eight
minutes to dazzle the panel of three guest-star judges (and the audience)
with literary merit, performance and everything in between. The series,
launched in the summer of 2006, currently runs bimonthly in both San
Francisco and New York City.

Reading for lit mag NY Tyrant is William Walsh

Reading for online lit mag 3:AM is Tony O'Neill

Reading for Opium Magazine is Tao Lin

Reading for The Crier is writer Maureen Tkacik

Reading for Ballyhoo Stories:Joshua Mandelbaum

Judges:
Leigh Newman's fiction and non-fiction have appeared in journals such One
Story, Tin House, Opium, The Northwest Review, Fiction, National Public
Radio's The Sound of Writing and The New York Times City section. She has
received fellowships from the Corporation of Yaddo and The University of
Massachusetts, Amherst. Currently, she teaches fiction at Pratt Institute,
curates The Reader's Room reading series at Mo Pitkin's, and spends a lot
of time writing her novel.

***
Did any of you go? Please tell me how it was. I was curious, but I guess not curious enough to go. I've never been to a "fun, hip, happy competition" before...

***
THIS FRIDAY:

MiPOesias presents
[ http://www.mipoesias.com]

RICHARD PEABODY ~ NICOLE STEINBERG ~ CATE PEEBLES ~

Friday, July 27, 2007 @ 7:00 PM

STAIN BAR
766 Grand Street Brooklyn , NY 11211
(L train to Grand Street Stop, walk 1 block west)
718/387-7840
http://www.stainbar.com/
Hosted by your ever glorious Amy King

***
Dear JMcG came with me for moral support as I tried to get my bloody cell phone replaced last night. More trouble than you'd think. Turns out my plan doesn't run its course until Oct 1st but I still can't get my old numbers, no texts, and now it beeps and hisses at me like a mouse in the belly of a rabid snake.

Obviously I gave up and drank my sorrow away and then hit up the comedy show, so now I need to go back to Verizon on my lunch break and either playfully beat an employee into giving me a new phone for free or suck it up and buy a new one.

***
I have like 2 photos of myself. And I was looking at one of these photos and just realized that in my favorite sweater, I actually look like A Despondent Mime:

The only good thing about winter in NYC is that I get to wear this sweater. But now, maybe not. Now it has to stay summer forever?

I know that mimes are an easy target for jokes, but if you ever want to hear about the most ridiculous mime encounter, ask me and I promise to make you laugh. And I am not the mime in the story. But it does involve a foreign country, my ex, and an overly affectionate mime.

***

My plants are needing more water than ever. I think I'm watering them everyday. Is that normal? Everyday? It's like they got spoiled and now make these high demands and when I don't feed them everyday they throw silent tantrums and get all limp and floppy. It's sad. I'm going to go water them now.

Oh, this is what a box turtle looks like:

This is actually an "ornate" box turtle.

***
One more thing. Two of my friends are going but I don't think I'll make it...but if you are in nyc and can take a long, luxurious lunch break, you might want to check out this:

DEMOS FORUM - THURSDAY, JULY 26

Sisterhood, Interrupted: From Radical Women to Grrls Gone Wild

Thurs., July 26, 2007
Program from 12:15-1:45 pm
at NYRAG
79 Fifth Ave, 4th Floor
(between 15th and 16th St)
New York, NY
Co-sponsored by:
National Council for Research on Women
Woodhull Institute for Ethical Leadership
Ms. Foundation for Women

Please join Demos, the Ms. Foundation for Women, the National Council for Research on Women, and the Woodhull Institute for Ethical Leadership in welcoming Deborah Siegel, author of Sisterhood,
Interrupted: From Radical Women to Grrls Gone Wild.

Deborah Siegel will discuss how, contrary to clich├ęs about the end of feminism, younger women are reliving the battles of its past, and reinventing it - with a vengeance. Drawing upon her lively and compelling look back at the framing of one of the most contentious social movements of our time in Sisterhood, Interrupted, Dr. Siegel will expose the key issues still at stake, and will outline how a twenty-first century feminist can reconcile the personal with the political and combat long-standing inequalities that continue today.

Panelists Desiree Flores and Dr. Mary S. Hartman will respond to Siegel with discussion of the experiences of younger and older feminists in relationship to the movement and each other, how multiple generations of women can learn from one another's activism to bridge generational differences, and what the future of the feminist movement looks like. This event will be moderated by Shari Cohen, Director of the Demos Fellows Program.

Deborah Siegel, PhD
Author / Consultant
Fellow, Woodhull Institute
Visit website, www.deborahsiegel.net
Link to blog, www.girlwithpen.blogspot.com

***

3 comments:

Joseph said...

Despondent Mime Press!

Massey

Chris Tonelli said...

I once had a box turtle named Carl Lewis. He was fast as shit.

Kate said...

i adore that picture of you.