Friday, July 13, 2007

Something In The Deli Aisle Makes You Cry Press

I've been reading Clamor (Lauterbach) as I mentioned earlier. I am more convinced than ever that you need to read this book if you haven't already (or buy her selected If In Time, because that has more diverse work). Sometimes I find myself reading a book and after its eaten my guts, made me feel like everything that needs to be said, well, has been, I'm warm because I've read something marvelous but I also feel the "Why should I even bother then" syndrome setting in. Well, Lauterbach will eat your guts but she'll make you want to keep writing, because she'll twist your brain up in ways it hasn't curled in a while.

Lines that will make you roll pincones in your hands, build mud(dy) castles on your closet floor, write on the inside of your tent-fort and shine a flashlight through it:

"Taking what you could get, like a stranger"

"A rope of trees in another country.
I could not say I am lost in the proper way.
The season is huge.
This house is haunted: I planted it."

"Appeal to us directly, distract us from it.
It we say often, and it is always the same it"

"The duck returns to the leaf.
Call these actions ourselves delayed.
We are kept by the indefinite, aroused."

"The world had sallied forth, unmeasured.
I heard it. I heard it as branch.
And I saw your eyes climb
Into their passages, little bony cups
Worn against the newest weather
Its eloquence forced upon us
As frugal, unspeakable knowledge.
A shiver of false fire"

***
Ok, that's enough for now. But come on, "little bony cups"? That rules. You can feel how seriously she takes her writing, her craft. Like she wants to crawl inside each object/concept she writes about and then build it again with new parts so that the next time you look at it/experience it, you understand it slightly differently, better.

***

I'm going to see The Muggabears tonight:
8:30pm Mercury Lounge. Come if you can. I will give you a bear hug.



***

What else can I tell you?

I miss my hair being salty. I'm going to Rhode Island at the end of the month to make a beach bonfire and have some saltwater fling itself into my hair.

1 comment:

Rilo said...

I was browising the web for the band The Blow and I came across your blog. I am curious who wrote the lines:

Lines that will make you roll pincones in your hands, build mud(dy) castles on your closet floor, write on the inside of your tent-fort and shine a flashlight through it:


It creates a awesome image...